Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 8, 2017



-o0o-

BACK IN THE 1930s . . .

I REMEMBER the school dentist was a German. In those days there was a great deal of bad feeling towards Germans, and I don’t think he would have much of a chance in the popularity stakes. The school doctor had a poor rating also, and it was joked that, if a child reported to him for an eyesight test, he would recommend a tonsillectomy. Much later I got to know him and he was a very pleasant old man. 

I REMEMBER that, like so many children of that time, I had to have my tonsils removed. I’m guessing I would be about 6 years old. The operation was done in the newly built clinic and I think I was there for two days. As usual my mother worried a great deal, for a little boy of my age had died getting this done.

I REMEMBER that as a youngster I often had bad toothache, a consequence of the iron medicine I had to take. On one occasion, late in the evening, the pain was so bad that my father took me to a dentist who lived nearby. His wife opened the door to us and said she was sorry but “My husband has retired for the night.” My parents thought it was a disgrace that he wouldn’t help a little boy in pain. We learned some time later that he was often the worse of drink, so perhaps it was just as well he didn’t attend to me!

I REMEMBER when an American uncle of my father visited us in the mid 1930s. He and a brother had emigrated around 1895 and, after they had settled, had been joined by their families. He was the first American I had met and he made a big impression on me. 

I REMEMBER someone else who had an American accent. He was Scottish but had been a printer on transatlantic liners. He married Aunt Nessie, a sister of my mother. One evening when I was very small she called at our house. I had been expecting my favourite aunt, and I told her “I didn’t want you. I wanted Cissie to come!” What a horrible little boy!

I REMEMBER another occasion of which I’m ashamed. It must be one of my earliest memories of my father’s parents’ house. I’ve no idea why I did this, but I told Grandma Jaap “You’re bad!” and slapped her hand. 

used to try composing haiku and this is an example -
many years have passed
but I'm still remembering
that old wrinkled hand

-o0o-

This is Grandma, probably 1900-1906


and Grandpa


He was the first of 4 John Armour Jaaps. The second was one of his sons, then I came along, and finally my cousin who lives in Australia.

-o0o-

Peter Sharp was a Kirkintilloch man who, like so many others, began his working life as a weaver. He later became a travelling book-seller, and gained quite a reputation as a poet. He died in 1886. 
This is part of a poem which won him a prize of one guinea from a Glasgow newspaper.
AYE HAUD ON

Aye haud on, and thankfu’ be,
Though little be your store;
And labour on wi’ eydent haun’
To mak’ that little more.

Discontent will break the heart,
And tak’ the strength awa’,
But cheerfulness sustains us aye,
And mak’s our labour sma’.

[Aye Haud On = keep persevering, lit. always hold on,
wi’ eydent haun’ = with a diligent hand,]

-o0o-

I wonder if anyone in my father's family knew about the Jaap who killed his wife? Perhaps that was something that was hushed up. 

On the 8th of May 1891, the Glasgow Herald reported that James Jaap aged 70, who lived in the Anderston district of Glasgow, appeared in court charged with the murder of his wife Isabella. The jury found him guilty and the judge Lord Young said that, in view of the prisoner’s age and the fact that he was “a religious man who endeavoured to preach to others” he would restrict the punishment to 18 months imprisonment. Surely a very lenient sentence in those days!


Is there a connection between James Jaap and our family?  We found his birth record in the archives for 1822.  It shows that he was born in Paisley, but we have no known family connection with that district. We do have a James Jaap born around 1824, a member of the Dalgety Jaaps of Fife from whom we are descended.

-o0o-


This vintage advert brought back to me something I had completely forgotten.

In the 1930s Hall's wine was well known for claiming to have healthy properties. When it began advertising in The People's Friend, the Scottish Women's Temperance Association complained to the paper's proprietors that, since the drink contained alcohol, the adverts should not be published in a respectable paper. The anti-drink groups were very strong in Scotland in those days and the People's Friend stopped taking the adverts.

Founded in 1869 the People's Friend is published by D.C.Thomson and Co. This is its front cover today, bright and colourful. How different it was when I was a boy.



-o0o-

Finally, a few intimations from church news letters -

Thursday night - Potluck supper. Prayer and medication to follow. 

Eight new choir robes are currently needed due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of some older ones.

The ladies of the Church have cast off clothing of every kind. They may be seen in the basement on Friday afternoon.


Our Easter Sunday Service began with Mrs. Prym laying an egg on the altar.


-o0o-

NEXT POST - SATURDAY 22nd JULY
from now on 90plus will be updated every alternate Saturday

-o=0=o-


No comments:

Post a Comment